It is one of the dishes with origin in the peninsula area, known for being one of the traditional ones in regions such as Aragón, Navarra or Castilla. The variety of provinces where it comes from offers a dish with a diverse identity.
Its base consists of a sofrito that accompanies a salted cod, but depending on the area, the ingredients that accompany it may vary, and you can add other vegetables, as well as other seafood that matches the recipe.
How is Cod Ajoarriero served?
It is a dish that is served hot in a deep dish, or preferably in a clay pot. It is a dish rich in energy properties and with great benefits that generate satiety.
Origin of the name of this dish
The origins of this recipe relate it to the old muleteers in the area, people in charge of transporting goods using mules or other animals to do the job. They carried salted cod on their trips and accompanied him with vegetables and other ingredients that they could access on the Camino.
Ajoarriero Cod Recipe
Is a receta sencilla to make, so you are attentive to the ingredients and the preparation so that you can enjoy your own codfish ajoarriero.
· 350 grams of salted cod
· 3 garlic cloves
· 3 potatoes
· 2 onions
· 2 peppers (can be normal or spicy)
· 4 tomatoes
· Parsley branches
· Olive oil
· Salt and seasonings to taste
- The salted cod should be left to soak for at least 24 to 36 hours, constantly changing the water to reduce the level of salty. If you want to save this, you can look for cod that has already gone through this process, then you just have to squeeze and drain the water from the fish until it is dry.
- Then cut all the vegetables into pieces. Once ready, pour olive oil and wait for it to take some temperature. Then add the vegetables so you can start making the sofrito.
- Cut the cod into pieces and season to taste, then fry it a little in another pan with oil. Make sure you move it around so the fish meat doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once done, remove the cod from the pan. Cut the garlic into pieces and sauté with the residual oil left by the fish. Before long, add the peppers in the same pan, without leaving it for long.
- Finally, serve the sofrito and the cod on a plate and then accompany it with the mixture made with the oil, garlic and peppers. Finally, you can put some parsley leaves to give the dish more flavor.
This delicious dish is one more sample of the richtypical gastronomic culture of the Camino, that with its powerful flavor captivates the palate. On your tour of the different routes you will find many other traditional dishes that add to this magical experience.
Did you like our post?
Please rate this item with stars
Your opinion matters to us!